Showing posts with label Works in Progress. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Works in Progress. Show all posts
New Bio-Mech Articulated Figure project (version 2): Work in progress

Here are some pics of a new private commission that I have been working on. I'm going for a more bio-mech/cyborg feel with this figure. It's 1/4 scale and has movable joints that allow for some pose-ability. It is still very much a W.I.P.








Here are the steps I took in creating the figure:


1) Armature Building - Since the figure is meant to hold different poses, i had to factor that in to the way the armature is designed to account for the joint placement. I also had to make sure that the limbs can be removed individually. I did this by using regular drinking straws over the aluminum wire armature. The straws were cut into sections. This allows each limb to slide right off the armature after it has been baked.


2) Blocking out the basic forms in Super Sculpey 


3) Cutting out the sections for articulation and baking them as I go


4) Kit-bashing cybernetic parts and using Magic Sculpt


5) Making removable horns with Magic Sculpt- This was just an experiment...



6) All primed 



7) Test-fitting before molding - I carved out some more details and re-primed certain parts to add to the cybernetic aesthetics of the figure.



8) Making 2 part silicone molds

8) Working on a face-plate (front and back of head) by pushing some Magic Sculpt into the silicone mold. 

Stay tuned for more to come... Still need to finish molding both sections of the head and casting the base figure :)

9) Casting the initial prototype with some Smooth-On 300 resin


10) Here's the first official figure in it's raw form, fresh out of the mold with all its sprues and flashing...



11) Here's what the pieces look like after some trimming and lots and lost of sanding...



12) The next step is test fitting to make sure everything fits properly


 

After playing around with different poses, I realize that I'm not fully happy with the limited articulation in the knees and elbows. I might have to hack hack them up to make them double jointed... Trying to figure out a way to do this without having to waste the original molds...

Stay tuned for more :)

13) My solution to making double joints:



Works in Progress: Biomech BJD project (Continued) - Final Test Fitting

Biomech BJD project (Continued) (#WIP, #GITS, #BJD, #actionfigure, #darkart, #biomech, #cyborg, #biomechanical, #robot, #sci-fi, #cyberpunk, #sculpture, #art, #popsurealism, #fembot, #OOAK)

Here are some pics of a private commission that I have been working on. I started this project last November. It's coming along now (at least the base figure is) and I'm almost at the molding and casting phase, pending some more refining, adjusting and polishing.

At this stage, I'm pretty happy with the overall proportions and the joint system of the base figure. She poses pretty well considering the weight of the materials (super sculpey and magic sculpt) though using a figure stand definitely helps. Once it's cast in resin, it should have no problems posing on it's own.





almost there...

Next Up: I'll be doing a final polish of the rough areas and lay one last coat of primer over each peace, making new "hair", creating a custom display base, and finally making the silicone molds and casting in resin :)


Works in Progress: Biomech BJD project (Continued) - Interchangeable Faces and Hands

Biomech BJD project (Continued) (#WIP, #GITS, #BJD, #actionfigure, #darkart, #biomech, #cyborg, #biomechanical, #robot, #sci-fi, #cyberpunk, #sculpture, #art, #popsurealism, #fembot, #OOAK)

Here are some pics of a private commission that I have been working on. I started this project last November. It's coming along now (at least the base figure is) and I'm almost at the molding and casting phase, pending some more refining, adjusting and polishing.

At this stage, I sculpted a second head with 2 interchangeable face plates with Super Sculpey and Magic Sculpt.. I want to experiment with having adjustable eyes so that the figure can be made to look in different directions. I also made several hands that can be swapped-out at the wrist.


Here's a side-by-side of all the figure pieces that I originally started out with when I first began sculpting this project (left) and the pieces that I am currently at (right) after making more joints, hands, face-plates, and priming it all white, etc...


Next Up: Another test-fit, polishing/sanding/priming and hopefully molding...

Works in Progress: Biomech BJD project (Continued) - Refining the Joints and Making Hair

Biomech BJD project (Continued) (#WIP, #GITS, #BJD, #actionfigure, #darkart, #biomech, #cyborg, #biomechanical, #robot, #sci-fi, #cyberpunk, #sculpture, #art, #popsurealism, #fembot, #OOAK)

Here are some pics of a private commission that I have been working on. I started this project last November. It's still in the very early stages and has a loooong way to go before molding and casting... 

At this stage, I rebuilt and refined the elbows, hips, and torso joints with Super Sculpey and Magic Sculpt. I also worked and whittled down the arms an legs to ensure the figure can stand on its own. The photo next on the right is to give a size reference  of the figure in comparison to my Stormtrooper helmet :) The figures stands at around 16 inches tall.


One of the things I love about using Super Sculpey as a base sculpt before casting it can be whittled down and carved easily. 


I took the time to practice making hair. Ideally I want to have both a sculpted and realistic version of hair that can be swapped out for the final figure.


Next Up: I'll be sculpting different hands that can be swapped out, create a 2-part head with movable eyes, and redo the hair pieces. Stay tuned...